What’s New in the 2021 BMW M5 and M5 Competition?
When the 6th generation F90 BMW M5 was introduced in 2017, it instantly reclaimed its title as the king of sport sedans. For the 2021 model year, the M5 has undergone a life cycle impulse refresh that introduces several key changes, including:
- New front and rear styling.
- New, larger 12.3-inch touch screen central information display.
- New wireless Android Auto compatibility in addition to Apple CarPlay.
- New cloud-based BMW Maps navigation.
- New TRACK mode for M5 Competition.
- New bicolor Full Merino Leather in Black and Midrand Beige with Alcantara inserts (for M5 Competition).
- New shock absorbers and fully recalibrated damper control system for M5 Competition.
- New high-gloss black or red finish for standard compound brake calipers.
- New Brands Hatch Grey and Motegi Red Metallic paint colors.
- New BMW Individual paint colors Tanzanite Blue II metallic, Aventurine Red II metallic and the matte finish Frozen Bluestone metallic.
On the exterior, you’ll notice redesigned headlights and taillights that can now be optioned with a Shadowline dark trim. Updated Kidney Grille and air intakes give the M5 a more modern and aggressive look. The rear bumper also features a subtle revision, including the rear diffuser and M specific quad exhaust.
Inside, you are greeted by a new 12.3-inch central infotainment display screen. Replacing the gear shit adjustment buttons are the new SETUP control and M Mode buttons. The SETUP control Botton allows you to adjust all vehicle powertrain and chassis settings. The M Mode button allows drivers to easily switch between two predefined driving modes: ROAD and SPORT. The M8 Competition also gains a new TRACK mode. When this mode is selected, all comfort, safety, and driver assistance features are deactivated for dedicated track driving.
The M5 Competition also gains a retuned chassis and new shock absorbers borrowed from the M8 Competition. Expect improved handling at the limit was well as great ride comfort in normal driving.
Market launch fo the 2021 BMW M5 is scheduled for August. The M5 starts at $103,500 while the M5 Competition starts at $111,100.